Dental implants are the most popular and also the ideal solution for replacing your missing tooth/teeth. They have highly changed the course of dentistry in the last quarter of a century or so. A dental implant is basically a titanium screw or cylinder which is surgically inserted into the jawbone beneath the gum line to work as a tooth root.
- First, you undergo surgery to have the implant placed in your jaw, where it is covered with gum tissue and allowed to integrate into the jawbone for three to six months.
- After that, a metal or screw-like post is attached to the implant and the gum tissue is allowed to grow up around it.
- Later, a customized crown is attached to the implant post.
- Prevents bone loss.
- Matches your natural teeth.
- Restores bite force.
- Prevents changes in the shape of your face.
- Enables natural speech.
- A permanent solution to tooth loss.
If the implants placed under proper conditions and further maintained diligently, these can last for a lifetime. It is necessary to follow the post-operative instructions after the dental implant procedure, and never hesitate in consulting the doctor for any question or problem. Following this, good oral hygiene is important not just for your teeth and gums but also for overall well being.